Friday, February 17, 2012

August 23 2011

》》You know you're in China when。。。the bike lanes are big enough to fit at least one car down
Meal-time is really awkward since the grandparents don't speak any English
Saying, “I'm full“ in Chinese is my top priority in regards to meal-time conversation I love the Chinese hospitality but I can only eat so much Right now, the only way I can indicate that I am full is by rubbing my stomach! Some of the volunteers in Beijing joked about that AFS also stands for "Another Fat Student;" I am really trying to make sure that that does not happen!
Luckily, the grandpa, son and I rode bikes to the ark after lunch--It got me out of finishing my food, and it was good excercise! The park was beautiful! The place was very large with many paths and a small lake. There are also some really nice-looking buildings being built in the park right now, so I'm hoping that Iwill be able to see them once they are finished.
School starts in a week. The days are going by very slow--too slow--right now, so I can't wait for school to begin. I'm quite sure if that's a good thing to be thinking or a bad one...at least I
will have less time to think! =) I keep thinking of my friends and family; Iwish Icould figure out how to call them!


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

>>You know you're in China when...badmitten is the name of the game!
Today I went to Yan's (my host-brother--pronounced Ian) badmitten class. We took two buses to get there and one home--all for a little less than $0.50. I'm not sure how much the buses are in the States, but I thought it was a very good price! ...I played a little bit at the practice. Idid pretty good, so I hope Yan wasn't going easy me. For being the first time, more or less, that Ihave played badmitten, I was fiarly proud of myself.
When we got home, a girl who Yan called his sister
I'm pretty sure he meant cousin was there Lunch was just about ready so we all ate  A word about the food since I'm in the south we eat rice more than noodles What usually happens is you get a bowl of plain rice or what I would consider rice-oatmeal or poridge)。 Then you take from the communal plates on the table You can either directly eat the food or you can put it in the riceThe food is really good。。。which I am very happy about What has been the strangest thing so far is that they serve fish whole head tail bones and all)! I told them that I never had fish like that before so they popped out a can of tuna--I didn't tell them that I never ate it like that either though
haha
Whenever I try to clean up the table
the grandmother stops me I keep trying though so maybe she will let me help eventually


Thursday
August 25 2011

It's been a week since my adventure has started
I'm not sure if I should say, "already a week," or "only a week-/
Ever since I was able to talk with my mom
I’ve felt a lot better I know that I probably shouldn't call again but I might call just to make sure they are alright--I heard that there was an earthquake in the United States。。。
maybe I'll just send an e-mail.
Anyway
the adjusting is getting easier My host-mother wanted me to show her how to make cookies last night so we had a really fun time It was amusing to see her use the mixer for the first time--the dry ingredients flew everywhere haha I took some pictures so you all can be amused

I am starting to find it to be extremely hard to find things to do to pass the time
I find myself  reading my Bible more often than I ever have The family has given me some books to read but I disagree with a lot of the philosophy of the author. Solitaire has become my bestfriend, but that can get boring after a while. There are still five days till school starts...I'm beginning to pray that they go fast. It's not that I'm unhappy; I'm just bored. :-/

Friday, August 26, 2011

A LOT has happened today. First, my host-father and I
went to the Tianming (sp?) Temple, the tallest Buddhist temple in at least Southeast Asia. Seeing it, I
had mixed emotions. On one hand, the natural beauty of the complex was breath-taking. However, it was also very sad to see how much time and money has been devoted to false gods--it made me want to cry. There was so many gold-covered statues and precious stones covering every inch of the place. My camera died halfway through, so I didn't get very many pictures. =(
After that, we walked through the adjacent park and had some tea. Once we were done, we met up with my host-mother and -brother and went to KFC for lunch
I've already eaten there once at the train station in Beijing so it wasn't a very worth-while experience Sandwiches are promoted a lot there that's what I have gotten both times They taste really good and they make me think about home

After going into a few shops
including one that had a French horn that I played for my family), we went to the dinosaur-themed amusement park They had some pretty good rides I wasn't so keen on trying some of them but my host-family convinced me to--I didn't know that trying new things included thrill rides haha We bought some pictures of us on the rides so maybe I'll be able to show you guys those
What I thought was one of the more interesting things about the park is that they kept playing Harry Potter music
You would think that if they were going to take a movie's soundtrack that they pick Jurassic Park
Besides the language and missing people back home
I'm starting to forget that I am even in a different country it‘s starting to feel slightly like home。。。

Sunday, August 28
2011

There's actually been a lot going on the past few days
We went to the lotus garden-park liked) and then the animation festival (didn't like) yesterday. Today, Yan and I went to see Cars 2--in Chinese From what I saw it seemed like a good movieAnyway with so much going on I am really missing doing things with my family
-I miss the loving embrace of my mother's arms when I am sad

-I miss my dad coming home from work and telling us about every little thing that happened that day

-I even miss my brothers yelling at me when I get on their nerves

Everything seems so far away now--and I don't like it
I don't know if I can make it here a year I want to be with my family and friends I know that God my friends and my family are all telling me that this is where I'm meant to be but my heart keeps telling me to get on the next plane bound for home This is going be one very hard year。。。

An Aching Man

Jonathan A. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment