Friday, February 17, 2012

August 17, 2011, 7:00 AM, Central Standard Time

Well...things have already been off to a rough start. I got my stuff together a lot slower that I
should have, so we got to the airport somewhat late. Unfortunately, I missed my plane to Cincinnati by about two minutes! Luckily, the man at the gate was able to switch me on to the flight to Minneanapolis...I got here at about 6:30, CST. My first time flying wasn't too bad. It was cool to fly about the clouds, and we got to see the Mississippi River on our way down! ...Time to go to LA!

August 20, 2011, 9:00 PM, Chinese Standard Time

A lot has happened in the past couple of days. We just got back from climbing the Great Wall of China--more on that later. I arrived in Los Angeles at 9:15 AM. My bags were still enroute from Cincinnati, so I had to go to the hotel and wait to go back to the airport once the plane got in. Ileft the hotel at about 10:30 and got back at 12:30.
After we ate, we started the orientation. There were a lot of cool people there; we had the kids who were going to Japan, too. Things were interesting...but I just wanted to get to China! haha
We got up at 2:30 and left for the airport at 3:30. The baggage check at LA was actually shorter than in Grand Rapids--I
was really surprised! The flight was short--45 minutes. San Francisco was fun once we all (11 of us) got settled in。 We had three hours, so most of us in the group really got to know each other! I really liked all of the people。。。We were from all over--Houston to St. Paul, Brooklyn to Portland

The
 flight to China was alrightit was very long--12 Hours! My camera died right away, so I only got one picture of the Pacific. (Sorry!) It's was alright, though。。。the stewards made us keep our window blinds closed (they were pretty mean! haha).

August 21, 2011

China has been great! The airport was magnificent--beautiful and HUGE! I only know a little Chinese right now, and there are many nationalities here...so it was hard to communicate. The most universal things, although it may be cliche`, are a wave and a smile! =)
After we ate supper, we didn't do much. We were all pretty tired (I only slept an hour on the plane), so we, more or less, went right to bed.
On Saturday, we were able to sleep in a little bit--breakfast was at 7:00. Ididn't sleep very well, off-and-on, so I ended up getting up at around 5:15. There was a small orientation after breakfast, and then we all got ready to go see the Great Wall! I didn't think we would get to see it, so it was really cool that we did. Some of us raced to the "top," which was a lot of fun. It was 85 degrees, though, so the journey was quite hard! haha
The views were definately worth it, though--the wall and the mountains were spectacular! We didn't have much time left, though, so we had to head back down right away--that was a challenge, too! 
Once we got down, we went to a restaurant. Their food was a lot better than the hotel's, so we all ate a lot! We were pleased to know that this was the regular Chinese food! haha

August 22, 2011

I am in Changzhou now. We left Sunday night after having a really good day with friends--I'm going to miss all the Americans Imet.
The train was a sleeper-train, so there wasn't much room. There were two bunkbeds that were three high
I got the middle, which didn't make things any better. The train ride was from 7:30 PMto 7:30 AM--too long for my liking!

My host father and brother met me at the station. They took my bags, making me feel useless, but they were just being nice. It was a quick ride to the apartment, and there I met my host-mother, their dog, and the grandparents. Everyone seems really nice...Ijust feel awekward right now. :-/ We have had breakfast and lunch so far, and my host-brother and I played a game on the computer. He seems very nice...we've tried talking to each other a bit so far.
I really miss my family, though. This “in China for a year” thing is really starting to sink in Since I had to leave so quickly
I didn't really have a proper goodbye with my family--that's been really hard I love them all so much so it‘s going to be hard to be away for so long

Before I go, I'd like to make things positive and say that I
think the miniature schnauzer and Ihave really hit it off! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment