Saturday, July 16, 2011

Reflections


My name is Jonathan Miller...I am a son, a brother, a nephew, a grandson, a friend, a confidant, a leader, a Christian, a worker, and so much more...and I'm leaving it all behind to go to a whole different planet for a years time.

With one month to go--thirty-two days, to be exact--before I leave my home for ten months by getting on a plane bound for Los Angeles, I am perhaps as terrified as I've ever been about going...I'm afraid to lose my family, my friends, my band, my associations, and many other things...I'm afraid of going into the unknown--where no-one knows my name.

Looking back on my past seventeen-years on Earth (today has been particularly nostalgic), I've been noticing how much I will miss...Friends are the keystone in any person's life; if people tell you that you don't really need them, they are wrong. I have known some of my friends for my entire life...inseperable people who were brought together for reasons that I don't even remember. Others, I have known for only a short period of time, meeting only because of a spilt bottle of Listerine (You know who you are!). Either way, I have begun to truly cherish the people in my life; God has put them in my life, so they--you--mean so much to me.

As for my family, I know they'll always be there--they're kind of stuck with me--but what will happen while I'm gone? So much can happen in an instant...If an instant is a second, I will miss 26,784,000 of them!

I guess that I'm just getting cold-feet; everything is beginning to feel so real. I'll miss everyone so much...I'll miss so much in general! On the other hand, I will experience so much...and that is the adventure that is waiting for me in thirty-two days.

Dearest Blessings,
Jonathan A. Miller

5 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for you! As someone that has spent time on the other side of one of the big oceans, I want to leave you some inspiration. One, before you go find out the time difference and figure out which day(s) of the week you can contact your parents. Having a set times makes it easier so you don't have missed transactions and less let down. Also, try to learn some things about how the internet will work for you. When I was in Italy, we had to pay everytime we picked up the phone, so we used a system where we would write all of our emails offline and then when we signed in, our emails would go and then we'd be signed off immediately (hence, not having to pay an astronomical phone bill). Other than that....be sure to try EVERYTHING twice, if your host family gives you something to eat and you don't like it....eat it anyway (even if they say you don't have to eat it-this makes telling them your dislikes up front very important). Make sure you have a GREAT travel guide for your region (I'll look and let you know what my favorite ones are - I haven't looked at them in so long I've forgotten who wrote them) and remember that you have your WHOLE LIFE to sleep....live every day to the fullest while you are there. So excited for you and your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jonathan!

    I thought I would give you some quick tips about travel (and about being away from family!) I’ve traveled a lot - on my own, very young, with limited money, without a cell phone, in a non-English country, and with complete strangers. Just thought I should give you some sort of last minute details!

    1. It’s going to be scary.
    2. You will go through the I love everything/I hate everything about this place.
    3. You are going to probably make lots of cultural blunders - but don’t worry. As a foreigner, no one is going to hold you up to any harsh standards.
    4. I know you know how fortunate you are to be living in a middle class American family, but you will see it even more when you are over there.
    5. No matter how scared you are, your mama is even more scared. And when you get used to it after a few weeks, your mama won’t stop being scared until you are back home.
    6. You are going to be around a lot of people. Personal public space (that bubble American’s are so fond of) doesn’t exist in most parts of the world.
    7. Watch how much money you spend. It can go FAST! (And be prepared to barter).
    8. Public transport - if you ever have to use it - is insanely confusing at first (even when you are absolutely positive you have it figured out.) After a few tries - and hopefully no mistakes - you should have it down.
    9. It is a Communist country. And they have a completely different concept of freedom, religion, faith, individualism, collectivism, and the press - but you already know this :)
    10. You are going to have moments where all you want to do is go home. But when you get home, you will realize how much fun you had.
    11. TAKE PICTURES! :D
    12. Try not to lose anything semi-important - even if it can be replaced. It can be a real pain.
    13. Bring several pairs of shoes - and I’m not just saying this because I love shoes.
    14. They may not have toilet paper in the stalls. You may even have to pay to use a restroom that doesn’t even have toilet paper.
    15. If at a train station, airport, etc. that may have internet, you will have to pay.
    16. Calling home on a pay phone is extremely expensive and you have to have a debit/credit card (trust me). Plus you can easily get you numbers stolen. Be careful if you decide to ever use one.
    17. Try not to compare everything to America. Or to Byron Center, for that matter...
    18. You will be living in the South (I believe). South China is know for having lots and lots of rather short people. You’re gonna feel tall ;p
    19. Don’t worry about what’s going on back home. We all have to grow up, outward, and onward (if you are really that interested, I could always fill you in on my grad school adventures...)
    20. Check out other blogs (I think I told you this) from expats. Can help you in the culture shock department.
    21. Don’t worry, don’t stress, and have fun!

    P.S. Again, be careful with your money. I can’t stress this one enough! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Langford: Thank you so much; it is very comforting to have a teacher, friend and fellow-exchanger cheering me on. I will take all of your advice to heart!

    Jessica: Thank you for all of the advice--even though I don't completely get #13 (haha)--that you have written down. ...Maybe I should just take you with me; have you ever wanted to visit Beijing and southern China? =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear jon, i'm going to miss you so much and i really hope we can talk while you are there and if we can't i'm just going to keep praying that you will post something new on your blog. i look forward to hearing about china. i'm praying for you. ~Betsi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol - if you have bigger feet, finding new shoes could be a problem. If you do a lot of walking in all kinds of weather, then your shoes will go fast! I learned that one the hard way...

    ReplyDelete