Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My TEC Experience--The Beginning of the End (For a While)



Hello All,

This past weekend, I worked for my fourth time at TEC--Teens Encountering Christ, a Christian youth-retreat. This really was the beginning of my goodbyes...

I went through TEC #40 as a candidate, and TEC #41 was my first TEC working (it happens four times a year). What TEC has brought to me is a better relationship with God, a great community of support, and my closest friends (oh boy...here comes the tears). I'll never have to say goodbye to God; He will always be there next to me. I did, however, have to say goodbye to all of my amazing friends.

Growing up, I was (not trying to brag) always the smart kid. In elementary school, when that meant you were the cool kid, I had a lot of friends and a couple super close ones. However, as the years passed, things got harder--people grew apart, and being smart wasn't as attractive as it used to be. Thus, I was left with hardly any great friends; I had some great acquaintances, but there was no one that I could really confide in. During those years, I can remember that I cried with my mom multiple times about how I wasn't that liked anymore in school...It was an extremely hard time; I truly believed that no one cared for me anymore--not even God.

When my brother Michael finally had me go to TEC (and I was SO close to not doing it), that all changed. I had great table leaders, Kathy Door and David Groendyk--who helped changed my spirit. With their help, I realized that God did really care. However, while I was close with my table group, I still didn't have very many people to talk to; I still didn't think I was loved by anyone else.

I decided to work the next TEC (this past one happened to be at the same place), and that is where I found my best of friends who I could count on. One of them, I met over a bottle of spilt Listerine. Another, I met because I didn't want to be creeped out by a stranger always hanging around anymore (You guys know who you are!). They were the ones who helped me build a support and friend network that I have charished ever since. With the other TEC's that I have worked, I have met other AMAZING people who have shown me that there is still love out there (including one that I met over a Physics shirt and another that I met because I was assigned to clean with him)...too many to name!

With this past weekend being the last TEC weekend that I will be able to work until, by the grace of God, I return in a year, things got pretty emotional towards the end. We still have a reunion in two weeks, but this was pretty much the last time that I would see most of them for a year. I began to cry as a hugged all of my great friends and said goodbye...it hurt so much.

I know that I am going to a place in which you have to register to worship or face pursecution...a place where I will have no support group (at least in the beginning)...a place where I could become separated from my faith in God. This weekend has comforted me and taught me that I can be strong, starting with an amazing prayer-time with an extremely Godly-woman (Thank you so much...you know who you are!). Even though I know that I can be strong with God's help, I am still scared--I am still sad--about being away from my great support group and awesome, Godly friends.

I want to thank all of those who have made me seen that God and others do care and love me; I am not alone anymore in my faith and in this world...Thank you for such an amazing time here...I will see you in a year's time.

With Blessings Forever,
Jonathan A. Miller

4 comments:

  1. oh man, please tell me I'm not the creepy stranger! haha. I'm going to miss you so much when you leave, but I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be watching your blog Jonathan!! God is going to do great things with you this coming year! He does some of His most important work when we are all "alone" - look at Moses (in the desert) and Joseph (hated by his brothers and then in jail). We will be praying for you! I loved the song :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. our goodbye was really tough for me because i was saying goodbye to one of my friends for awhile and i've had to do that before and that one was tough too. you are not alone because so many people will be here praying for you and God will be with you. i can't wait to hear more about my trip and i love that you posted a song with this because life always needs background music and this song just fits so perfectly. i'm praying for you. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so blessed to now count you as one of my friends Jonathan! You will be a wonderful ambassador for Christ in China. I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete